1.5
Additional Fees

Georgia Power now offers 'Paperless Billing' as a feature of their website (to save themselves the postage and printing costs of mailing paper statements). The problem is that they do not acquire informed consent from clients to switch these clients from Paper to Paperless Billing.

Instead this is acquire via a default 'tick' to a paperless billing option located at the bottom of their online payment screen. Hence clients making online payments may fail to see this when making such payments, and therefore not 'untick' this box. The consequences of this, is that suddenly without knowing consent, paper statement are no longer sent out to such clients. Now the problem with 'Paperless Billing' is that these are sent via e-mail.

As we all know, e-mails do not always reach their intended recipients and can and do go astray, or end-up being lost amongst e-mail spam or in a spam or junk mail folder somewhere. This is exactly what happened to me and for 3 months and without my actual knowing consent, I received no paper billing statements for those 3 months, nor e-mail notifications, due to the e-mails which were not anticipated and therefore were not 'whitelisted' being diverted into a Junk Mail Folder. Now as a Property Manager I handle many accounts with many different Utility Providers and service providers, and for this reason I would NEVER KNOWINGLY agree to accept Paperless Statements over Paper Statements. Unfortunately as a consequence of Georgia Power’s devious Paperless Billing enrollment methods, I was switched from Paper to Paperless Billing and we lost track of the rate at which electricity was being consumed at a specific property address.

Had we received a paper bill for the property concerned, not only would the bill have been paid on time, but the thermostat would have been reset to reduce electricity consumption? When calling Georgia Power on 01/19/2018 to complain about this and see this we could get a reduction of these outrageous bills, their response was basically 'it is your responsibility to check you billing, and if you didn't get a bill you should have called us'. So they refused to reduce the bill and to acknowledge any wrong doing on their side for their illegal and/or unethical billing switching practices. Of course as a Utility Provider they have a monopoly in providing electrical service to the effected premises, so I had no choice but to pay their bill, plus late fees, or else they would simply have cut the service.

This is a typical example of how monopolistic utility companies violate the public trust and engage in unethical and deceptive billing switching practices. From a customer service perspective I would give Georgia Power zero 'stars' if that were at all possible.

Of course I do not expect anything positive to come from this but consumers BEWARE. Georgia Power is a monopolistic utility provider with few morals or scruples and who are more interested in saving mailing costs that serving their client base.

Review about: Georgia Power Electricity Supply.

Reason of review: Deceptive Billing Switching Practises.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Deceptive billing practises.

Comments